Hi there,

once again we are trying to update our set of about 70 external forge
modules our puppet codebase uses but we always end up in dependency
hell, especially when trying to update central modules like
puppetlabs/stdlib or puppetlabs/apt or my special friend
puppetlabs/concat. There are always not that well maintained modules
that have something like puppetlabs-apt < 3.0.0 in their metadata.yaml
that makes upgrading these modules to current versions extremely
annoying. How do you handle this? Do you try to keep your modules up
to date and do you care for the version limits in the modules you use.
So far we often just did puppet module upgrade --force
--ignore-dependencies and usually it works without problem, but that's
not really the best solution for this problem. And maintaining
internal forks of all problematic puppet modules with fixed
dependencies would be a lot of work. Any hints would be appreciated.

Best regards
Karsten