comport3 <compo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Has there been a discussion (or better, an existing service or method) of
> freely sharing and exchanging those Profiles?

> I think observing and reusing (and hopefully, improving) the logic in these
> would benefit all in the community.

        My local solution to this: instead of putting modules into a
single module called 'profiles', I have an additional module path set
up with reasonably-named per-topic modules, prefixed with 'p_' to avoid
namespace collisions.  So I have 'p_firewall' (wrappers around the
puppetlabs/firewall), 'p_puppet_client', 'p_docker', 'p_root' (which
contains separate manifests for mail forwarding, password setting, and
others), etc.  These are differentiated from regular modules because a)
they can and generally do contain data, b) they can refer to shared hiera
variables, and c) they aren't really meant for wide distribution (so no
r10k + the forge, but I can probably share most of them with other teams
easily enough).

        Has anybody else come up with anything like this system?  It has
kept us sane and scaling for years now, and I can't imagine working within
a single crowded profiles directory.

                                    - Tim Skirvin (tskir...@fnal.gov)
--
HPC Systems Administrator / Developer      http://www.linkedin.com/in/tskirvin
       USCMS-T1 Collaboration                         Fermilab ECF