There appears to be contradiction here.
If “one-off” changes for “new functionality” are needed, why are the changes
going into a base/profile module ?
Would some more specific and detailed examples be possible ?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)