I have had good luck with this Forge module.

https://forge.puppet.com/saz/ssh

Try it out and see if it meets your needs.
And, absolutely use Hiera.  Just set up a hierarchy that includes a node level,
and your node-specific settings are handled.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)