On 2020-03-28 16:23, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM Henrik Lindberg <henrik.lindb...@puppet.com <mailto:henrik.lindb...@puppet.com>> wrote:

    On 2020-03-28 14:36, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

     > On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Henrik Lindberg
     > <henrik.lindb...@puppet.com <mailto:henrik.lindb...@puppet.com>
    <mailto:henrik.lindb...@puppet.com
    <mailto:henrik.lindb...@puppet.com>>> wrote:

     >     On 2020-03-28 02:42, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
     >      > Greetings,
     >      >
     >      > Suppose I have a class foo that host A gets via its
    catalog. Suppose
     >      > host B does not have foo in its catalog. Can host B do
    anything
     >      > malicious to obtain the sensitive data in foo?
     >      >
     >      > My puppet master is using an ENC to generate the
    classification
     >     of each
     >      > host and then a roles + profiles design pattern and hiera for
     >     specific data.
     >      >
     >      > Thanks for any hints or answers!
     >      >
     >
     >     It is important that your server side logic uses $trusted when
     >     classifying on node since other facts cannot be trusted.
     >
     >     If B is compromised a malicious user could spoof facts in a
    request and
     >     pretend to be A. It cannot however spoof the certificate - and it
     >     contains the information that is in $trusted.
     >

     > Hey Henrik,
     >
     > Thanks for the reply!
     >
     > Suppose I don't use any facts for classification, but only the ENC
     > assigns a role to the node via its fqdn.

    You want the fqdn that is in $trusted - the "regular" fqdn can be
    spoofed.

The ENC gets the fqdn on the command line. I'd presume this is trusted from the certificate since communication between the master and client is predicated on the SSL.

The ENC then "assigns" a class to A.

Is there anything B can do to get module foo added to its catalog if only the ENC adds module foo to node's catalogs?

I suppose ENC gets the trusted fqdn, but I don't know.

There is nothing B can do on its own. You naturally have to review your puppet code so B cannot simply set a fact and the logic would use that to include logic you don't want on B.

- henrik

Thanks,

-m

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CAOLfK3WHtCsEEhA6CrvP8WkFwxqGJdads1rzsBOUjVVNBgpSZw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CAOLfK3WHtCsEEhA6CrvP8WkFwxqGJdads1rzsBOUjVVNBgpSZw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/