Hey Grant,

Bit late on this and I'm not sure if it will help but here's my recent
experience:

I stage managed the EA venue during ICMC2011 and was hugely impressed with
the ambisonics pieces that we had (Natasha Barrett's in particular).  It
did involve the composers getting distance and radii measurements of the
space and the speaker config (38 speakers in approx 8 groups) but like I
said the outcomes were impressive.  Now I think this has much to do with
the way the pieces were composed and the pannings arranged as well, though
speaking purely as a 'punter' I liked it.  Not sure in which program you
have put your tunes together with but I know pd, for example, has lots of
various order ambisonic stuff and I presume Ardour would do as well.

As a side note I got into asking the various composers who performed their
pieces "what do you call this kind of presentation", which for me is
interesting because I think of it as playing the mixing desk as a
performance instrument/interface/whatever.
The best answer came from Annette Vande Gorne
http://www.electrocd.com/en/bio/vandegorne_an/
who kicked the shit out of the desk, super impressive performance, and by
this point I was calling it diffusion, as that was the most popular answer
but she said she hated that term as diffusion is too weak and insipid for
her.  She said that she was an 'interpreter of space'.  Yeah.

Anyway, I would be wary of getting into interpreting space without some
previous experience.  Whether this means getting a rig together and just
practising a lot, maybe.*  I also noticed that the hardcore amongst them
would just have a stereo mixdown and would show some serious skills by
throwing the mix around the room.  A lot of the composers would have an 8
channel version and could just route the tracks to the various groups and
ride the faders - which would be my preferred option I think.

In the soundchecks for each piece we managed to set up the desk and save it
as a preset so that each composer had the faders routed and roughly
balanced to their preference so that they could get stuck in.  We also made
sure that everyone had enough time to have several run-throughs to get a
feel for it beforehand.  As the old mantra goes in these cicumstances - 'if
you don't ask you don't get'.  So if you get a piece in make sure you get
the time you need.

*Here in Huddersfield we have a wonderful rig -the HISS(Hudd Immersive
Sound System) which spends probably 90% of the time in various cupboards or
in pieces scattered across the University because we don't have the
available space for it to reside somewhere permanently.  Such a shame as
I'm sure loads of people would get a lot out of it if they could get their
hands on it (me included).

All good wishes,

Julian

On 28 November 2011 01:21, Bobby Whelan <bo...@soundingbody.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>> the possibility of using the spatialization setup they have available.
>>  however, i know almost nothing about it or how i would go about
>> preparing my pieces for playback on a system like that.
>>
>> my work is all done with puredyne, and i thought perhaps someone on
>> this list would have some suggestions for a setup that can take
>> advantage of a multi-speaker setup.  It sounds like one system has 16
>> speakers and the other has 22.  There is direct diffusion as well as
>> "3rd order Ambisonics"... which i know nothing about.  Any insights?
>> Most of what i've got so far is just stereo, but i've been reading
>> about different spatial effects that can be realized with multiple
>> speakers, and when am i going to have another chance to play with a
>> system like this?
>>
>> any advice would be great!  thanks list.  hope everyone is well.
>>
>> -grant
>>
>> On 10/20/11, Bruno Ruviaro <ruvi...@stanford.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> LAC 2012: the Linux Audio Conference - Call for Participation
>>> April 12-15, 2012 @ CCRMA, Stanford University
>>>
>>> http://lac.linuxaudio.org/**2012/ <http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2012/>
>>>
>>> [Apologies for cross-postings] [Please distribute]
>>>
>>> Online submission of papers, music, installations and workshops is now
>>> open! On the website you will find up-to-date instructions, as well as
>>> important information about deadlines, travel, lodging, and so on. Read
>>> on for more details!
>>>
>>> We invite submissions of papers addressing all areas of audio processing
>>> based on Linux and open source software. Papers can focus on technical,
>>> artistic or scientific issues and can target developers or users. We are
>>> also looking for music that has been produced or composed entirely or
>>> mostly using Linux and other Open Source music software.
>>>
>>> The Deadline for all submissions is January 11th, 2012
>>>
>>> The Linux Audio Conference (LAC) is an international conference that
>>> brings together musicians, sound artists, software developers and
>>> researchers, working with Linux as an open, stable, professional
>>> platform for audio and media research and music production. LAC includes
>>> paper sessions, workshops, and a diverse program of electronic music.
>>>
>>> The upcoming 2012 conference will be hosted at CCRMA, Stanford
>>> University, on April 12-15. The Center for Computer Research in Music
>>> and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford University is a multi-disciplinary
>>> facility where composers and researchers work together using
>>> computer-based technology both as an artistic medium and as a research
>>> tool. CCRMA has been using and developing Linux as an audio platform
>>> since 1997.
>>>
>>> http://ccrma.stanford.edu
>>>
>>> Stanford University is located in the heart of Silicon Valley, about one
>>> hour south of San Francisco, California. This is the first time LAC will
>>> take place in the United States.
>>>
>>> http://www.stanford.edu
>>>
>>> We look forward to seeing you at Stanford in April!

---