Hi Dietmar,

sorry for the late reply.

Am 17.12.2012 07:49, schrieb Dietmar Maurer:
But shared disk are really usefull, I regulary use them for web cluster or
databases clusters.

Can you provide some details? What database or what web server is able to
use such shared disk?

The webserver or app doesn't matter. It's the fs which handles this. There are a lot of cluster fs out there.

Two examples:
- Oracles OCFS2
- Redhats GFS2

Maybe Stefan have a clear idea how to implemented shared disks?
I guess we need to have special URIs for shared volumes, for example

store1:/0/vm-0-disk-1.raw

(owner is VM 0). But I am not sure if that is a good idea.

The idea is to have entries like this one:
shared_scsi1:vm-117-disk-5
shared_virtio2:vm-117-disk-9

We don't need the path as the PVE code always rely on the vm-(\d+) number. So my idea was to do this here too.

We need to change the code to get the next free controller id (scsiX / virtioX / ...).

The advantage of the shared_ entries is that snapshot code, backup code, ... does not know about these disks so it won't try todo backups / snapshots of this disk.

A problem will be if i do a snapshot with memory/ram it also needs the old status of this shared disk.

So we need to block backups and snapshots with memory included for these machines.

Other / better ideas?

Greets,
Stefan