I'd like to discuss a feature request about having a "real" hostname on KVM
machines or some other mechanism to solve my problem.

I have a rather big environment with over a hundred KVM VMs and also
different networks including different DNS settings. Currently I "encode"
further VM information in the first two lines of the comment of each VM and
then "decode" these on automatic tasks on the command line or via API. With
the advent of LXC, there is an option about hostname and dns settings.
Could it be possible and feasible to introduce such things also into the
KVM world? Having the "real" hostname as the name of the KVM is just too
long. I could use pools for this, but I already use pools to differentiate
the machines by purpose.

How do you guys solve this problem in big environments? Is there a simpler
way I don't see right now?

pve-devel mailing list