Hi,

On 30/01/14 15:21, lst_ho...@kwsoft.de wrote:

do you have long time experience in running windows Servers 2008+ on kvm in a prodoctive environment? We are using a lot of Vmware stuff and I want to create a testing envirnment with kvm. What are the known issues, what are your personal experiences?

We have experience of running Windows Servers from the times of Proxmox 1.x, currently using Proxmox 2.x and 3.x in different environments. We have not used VMWare vSphere in production (but we did migrate a VMWare vSphere infraestructure to Proxmox 3.x). We are running Windows 2003, Windows 2008 32bit, Windows 2008R2 32bit, Windows 2012 64 bit.

We're quite happy with the results, it's very important to use virtio drivers for performance. You may have some issues shutting down windows boxes from Proxmox GUI, there are some instructions for this to work on PVE wiki.

What virtio drivers do you use for Windows 2003? The latest seem to not work for Windows < 2008 and result in blue-screen immediately.
Now that you say this, I recall having this problem on a recent P2V.

We have windows 2003 systems using block driver version 6.0.0.10 with date 20/09/2010 since quite a long time, and also version 61.63.103.2200 with date 13/02/2012 since about 20 months. This last one should be from virtio-win-0.1-22.iso

Too bad the actual download archive only goes back to virtio-win-0.1-30.iso...
I will try that one and see what happens.

I can put the -22.iso for download if that helps you, just tell me.

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico