We've observed that if any of the nodes boot much faster or slower than the
other nodes, this causes big problems with both CEPH and PVE, particularly with
quorum issues.
I've just finished switching a 9-node cluster to NFS because CEPH was too
unreliable after repeated power failure crashes.
Turns out powering off the last few nodes is hard because they've lost quorum
by that point and hang during shutdown for longer than the UPSes last.
Unless you have redundant power (I.e. generator) I'm not sure I would ever
recommend a large PVE+CEPH cluster again.
-Adam