On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 09:40:54AM +0100, Steve wrote:
> I tried proxdebug. No extra messages are generated after the network has
> initialised.
> There is no log in /tmp folder ? Has the log moved?
>
> How do I run xinit? Where is it?
> Do you mean init? If I run this it says must be run as PID 1 - how can I
> fix this (sorry, I am not a linux guru!)

just type "xinit" in the debug shell. but if you are not comfortable
with this kind of debugging, you might be better off just (temporarily)
"sacrificing" a thumb drive for the PVE installer instead of trying to
get this non-standard way to boot it to work ;)

I hope to fix the initrd during the 5.x release cycleto to allow booting
in some kind of loopback mode, but it's a low priority item on my todo
list..