Again, update your kernels, don’t delay, and don’t stop. The updates to resolve these problems will be continuing to come for a long period of time. Also, there are still lots of other bugs and security issues being resolved in the stable and LTS kernel releases that are totally independent of these types of issues, so keeping up to date is always a good idea.

Right now, there are a lot of very overworked, grumpy, sleepless, and just generally pissed off kernel developers working as hard as they can to resolve these issues that they themselves did not cause at all. Please be considerate of their situation right now. They need all the love and support and free supply of their favorite beverage that we can provide them to ensure that we all end up with fixed systems as soon as possible."

source: http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/

On 2018-02-02 13:10, Uwe Sauter wrote:
Am 02.02.2018 um 13:02 schrieb Eneko Lacunza:
Hi,

El 02/02/18 a las 12:59, Uwe Sauter escribió:
This is a very important message for all users of Proxmox. Is there any
announcement on the lists for it?
This kernel is already quite old and you should install always latest packages
anyway. So no, there is no extra information
besides the well known sources about each single bugfix.
Don't know what you consider "quite old", but our servers were last updated on
15th january 2018. I really thought that we were on
bleeding edge versions... :-)

Also, it doesn't seem reasonable to think that users will be checking dayly?
for kernel updates and installing them *and
rebooting* the server... :)
For checking, that's where monitoring software is for… I have Nagios checks
that keep me informed if there are any new packages
available.

Regarding reboots: well, that's why you run a cluster so you are able to reboot
hosts without interuption of the serivces provided
by VMs…
Sure, but some user's don't have shared storage, or have just one server.

Also, you just always install de latest available versions inmediately, so
that... you get also the broken versions like this
kernel? Very good for maintaining services provided by VMs... ;)

Cheers

I never said that I install everything the second it is available, just that
Nagios keeps me informed.

And then again either you use the community repository and get the latest and
greatest or you pay for the enterprise repo where
things might be more stable… But especially in troubled times like this January
I don't see a point to wait… but that's just my 2
cents.

And I didn't have trouble with any kernel update so far since I started using
Proxmox early last year.

Regards,

        Uwe