One server has upgraded clean so far, but the 2nd one wants to remove pve :(

apt-get dist-upgrade
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:   apparmor ceph-fuse criu ebtables fonts-font-awesome hdparm ipset libapparmor-perl libboost-iostreams1.55.0 libboost-program-options1.55.0 libboost-random1.55.0   libboost-regex1.55.0 libboost-system1.55.0 libboost-thread1.55.0 libgnutlsxx28 libgoogle-perftools4 libicu52 libipset3 libjs-extjs libjson-c3 liblttng-ust-ctl2 liblttng-ust0   libnet1 libnetfilter-log1 libprotobuf-c1 libprotobuf10 libpve-access-control libpve-apiclient-perl libpve-guest-common-perl libpve-http-server-perl libpve-storage-perl   librados2-perl libtcmalloc-minimal4 libtemplate-perl libunwind8 liburcu4 libuuid-perl lxc-pve lxcfs novnc-pve proxmox-widget-toolkit pve-cluster pve-container pve-docs   pve-edk2-firmware pve-firewall pve-ha-manager pve-i18n pve-manager pve-xtermjs python-ipaddr python-protobuf qemu-server spiceterm uidmap
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common libnvpair1 libzfs2 proxmox-ve pve-kernel-4.15 pve-kernel-4.15.17-2-pve pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve pve-kernel-4.15.18-4-pve
  pve-kernel-4.15.18-5-pve
  libboost-program-options1.62.0 libboost-random1.62.0 libboost-regex1.62.0 libfdt1 libjson-c3 libopus0
  ceph-common libcephfs1 libnvpair1linux libpve-common-perl libpve-storage-perl librados2 libradosstriper1 librbd1 librgw2 libzfs2linux libzpool2linux pve-container   pve-libspice-server1 pve-manager pve-qemu-kvm python-cephfs python-rados python-rbd qemu-server zfs-initramfs zfs-zed zfsutils-linux

I've done a plain apt-get update + upgrade and rebooted.

Current versions:

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 5.3-1 (running kernel: 4.15.18-5-pve)
pve-manager: 5.2-9 (running version: 5.2-9/4b30e8f9)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-8
pve-kernel-4.15.18-5-pve: 4.15.18-24
pve-kernel-4.15.18-4-pve: 4.15.18-23
pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve: 4.15.17-14
pve-kernel-4.15.17-2-pve: 4.15.17-10
corosync: 2.4.4-pve1
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
glusterfs-client: 3.10.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2
libpve-access-control: 5.1-3
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-40
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-18
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-29
libqb0: 1.0.3-1~bpo9
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6
lxc-pve: 3.0.2+pve1-5
lxcfs: 3.0.2-2
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-2
openvswitch-switch: 2.7.0-3
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-22
pve-cluster: 5.0-31
pve-container: 2.0-27
pve-docs: 5.3-1
pve-firewall: 3.0-16
pve-firmware: 2.0-6
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-5
pve-i18n: 1.0-9
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.11.2-1
pve-sheepdog: 1.0.2-1
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
qemu-server: 5.0-36
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
spiceterm: 3.0-5
vncterm: 1.5-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.11-pve1~bpo1

This is probably my oldest server, started off as Proxmox 3.x