Ok- just kinda checking to make sure of what you guys had in mind. If the HUP is a full restart of the server, then it will complain on its own if the config file doesn't match what's in the storage space, so that isn't really a danger. It also means that pretty much any tuning parameter is legal to change since all of the I/O components will be starting from scratch.

Just a heads up on one detail- we need to make sure that the server keeps its pid on the HUP or else updates its pidfile so that monitoring scripts don't get confused.

I think that leaving the client configuration alone is fine.

-Phil

Rob Ross wrote:
I feel like the HUP should be a full server restart?

Clients don't have a way to know that they need to reload the config file, currently. Likewise, since someone could just kill the server and then restart with a totally different config file, I don't think that we want to try to enforce any rules on what parameters may be changed. This is just a convenient way to reload, right?

Rob

Phil Carns wrote:

I have a few questions about some details of the implementation:

- What exactly will a HUP do on the server side? For example, is this pretty much a full server restart, a restart of the I/O components (job/trove/bmi/etc.), or just selectively reseting parameters that can be changed dynamically?

- How will a reload of the configuration affect clients that already have the file system mounted? They typically have already read and parsed the configuration locally. Do they continue with the previous configuration or do they get the updates as well?

- This sort of depends on the answers to the previous questions, but is there any restriction on what configuration parameters can actually be changed on the fly? There are some obvious ones that cannot be changed (fsid, root handle, range ownership, etc.). Are there any others? Do we need anything to protect against this or just document what parameters are off limits?

FWIW, I agree with the direction that you guys are now heading with this stuff for the near future. The dependence on a particular servers being around for startup and use of things like portmapper would cause problems for our environment. We have to worry a good bit about firewalls, and asymmetric servers would make it harder to play nice with failover software.

-Phil

Rob Ross wrote:

Hi all,

Since I'm being discussed, I thought that I should chime in :).

I agree that what we're talking about here is just a couple of steps in the right general direction, not where we would really like to be in the long run.

The zero-conf concept sounds great to me, conceptually. However, I don't want to have an implementation of that that forces us into a dependence on a particular server for startup. More discussion might change my mind? I dunno.

Server-to-server (s2s) seems like the right way to do the config file verification in the long term. However, the code we're going to use to do that is just now shaping up. So we're not quite ready to do that yet.

So, I proposed (off-line) that we do this interim thing for now (which cleans things up quite a bit) and continue thinking and talking about how we might like the system to work in the longer term.

Regards,

Rob

Murali Vilayannur wrote:

Hi pete,

I thought with your discussion of getconfig/putconfig that you were
implicitly planning to get server-to-server communication to work
too.

I was planning on doing that. But it fizzled out because of RobR's concern
about scalability and dependence on a single root server..

What you describe here sounds like fine stuff.  And if later
somebody gets ambitious and wants to do more "zeroconf"-ish work,
they can build on this.  Thanks for the explanations.

Yep. Exactly. I hope so too :)
thanks!
Murali