I finally ended up getting this to work, using this patch:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1710419/+attachment/4955829/+files/diff.txt

... and re-compiling the module on 4.9.75-204.el7.centos.armv7hl. It looks like I had been fighting some environment issues for my build environment but I ended up getting some help on that and everything is currently working as far as I can tell.

If there's anything I can provide and/or test, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

Chris