Hi.

In my opinion, I think the approach you chose depends strictly from the
question you want to answer and after that from the the size (number electrons,
Number plane wave thou) you have.
Do you need a full excitonic optical spectrum ? or just a RPA spectrum is
sufficient for your study?

If it is silicon-like and then maybe not too much computationally demanding, I
think you can use a linear response TDDFT as a first step and then move to a
more sophisticated approach as GW (to calculate not the optic, but the
screening of your material) + Bethe-Salpeter equation BSE to have correctly
acces to the excitonic effects in your absorption spectra.

Of course all the calculations have to be converged wrt kpoints, number of
Gvectors, number of bands. When increasing these parameters wrt their pristine
value for your converged density in the DFT framework the computational cost
will increase not linearly.

I would suggest you to have a look and to do the tutorial with the Yambo code
on a small system as they proposed in order to correctly understand what are
you doing.

Moreover there is the theory to have a look at in order to understand the
meaning and the effect of the quantities you are calculating .
I would reccomend especially
Onida Reining Rubio Rev Mod Phys 2002
http://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.74.601
as all the others references in the yambo website as well.

Moreover, since I notice you are in Bilkent UNiv, try to ask to Seymour
Cahangirov from the same univ. I think he can address you properly.

I hope this could help a bit.

With the best
Federico

Federico IORI