On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 16:57 -0800, David N. Lombard wrote:
> > Looking in that path, and the directories
> >  /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/include/asm/
> >  /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/include/linux/
> > the former has no semaphore.h, but the latter does.
> >
> > Again guessing, the kernel build tree is in /lib/modules/, and the
> > situation is the same over there:
> >  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include/linux/ has semaphore.h,
> >  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include/asm/ does not have it.
> >

> This assumes you have the sources for your kernel, which would have
> system-specific links for the asm directory to an architecture-specific
> asm file, e.g., asm->asm-x86
>
> I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know how to get those files for your
> Ubuntu-provided kernel.

Yes, I installed the package linux-source-2.6.27 which is described in
Synaptic as "Linux kernel source for version 2.6.27 with Ubuntu
patches", so I assume this is the right one for me.

And you are right, ls -l  reveals it is indeed linked asm -> asm-x86

I did a quick google search for 2.6.27, asm/semaphore.h and found this:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/27/Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt

Towards the bottom of that document it says:

-What:   asm/semaphore.h
-When:   2.6.26
-Why:   Implementation became generic; users should now include
-   linux/semaphore.h instead.

I guess that means I was actually doing the right thing when I symlinked
asm/semaphore.h -> linux/semaphore.h earlier, but that only stopped it
from complaining about the missing file, while the other errors
persisted.

--
Cheers,

Brynjar