The following forum message was posted by  at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydev/forums/forum/293649/topic/3724319:

How can I install PyDev to a system-wide eclipse installation so that every
user don\'t have to install it seperately?
I tried unpacking the source into eclipse/dropins directory as described on
pydev homepage but Eclipse didn\'t find it, so I open eclipse as root and
installed from update site. Now eclipse sees the plugin but it only works
properly for root user, normal users get loads of java exceptions like
\"Plug-in com.python.pydev.analysis was unable to load class
com.python.pydev.analysis.builder.AnalysisParserObserver\" which feels really
strange as this jar is in a eclipse/plugins subfolder.

system is RHEL5 clone.