Hi Walt,

It isn't that we wish to discourage "normal" users, it's that their
privileges were deomonstrably abused by spammers, and so now we hand edit
privileges out when requested rather than permitting them generally. If you
can create a Wiki account and let us know the username we can add you.

Thanks very much for your interest in Python, and welcome to the Wiki
community as an editor! Feel free to make other improvements you determine
the need for.

regards
 Steve

Steve Holden