On 5/21/19 4:00 PM, Steve Holden wrote:

> My own personal preference would be to wave a respectful goodbye to 2.7
> from the (Python core) developer community, with encouragement to all
> who aspire to the open source ethic to continue to breathe life into
> those bits that remain useful. Probably the same question should be
> debated within the PSF more broadly, since the Foundation might well be
> prepared to act as a continued conduit for support to the Python 2
> community.
>
> The main thrust should definitely be "only if you absolutely have to,
> for well-defined reasons

and more

>     >
>     > The simplest solution I see is to add a "top header / block" that
>     says the summary of:
>     > "It is Python3 going forward, officially as of Jan2020. This page
>     is largely out of date, but kept for historical reference as it
>     provides value for maintaining legacy Python2 systems."
>     >

>     I can't speak for everyone, only myself. Personally, I think the page
>     should basically say "use Python 3 unless you're maintaining legacy
>     code", with some elaborating information; other people may have other
>     preferred pitches.
obviously it's going to be an opinionated thing. and the wiki is fine
for that (to an extent), I don't think we need to worry quite as much
about "what policy does the PSF want to follow" here before even getting
started... and if someone takes offense "we" can just edit it some more.

So I'd say if there's an editor who feels strongly about improving it,
just go ahead and improve it. and then we can look at it and react. It's
possible to subscribe to page changes, which I do, I'll pop up with
something if I think it's worth it.

In My So Verrrry Humble Opinion, any efforts to keep pages current are
better than waiting around to get lots of people to agree minute details
and as a result things staying stale... stale being always a wiki risk
anyways.