Dear Will,

It’s true that very low level of divergence is more difficult to achieve with
ACM than with methods that rely on a global Poisson solve because explicit
smoothers are not as efficient for damping low frequency modes. However, it has
other advantages e.g. it is (strong) scalable unlike many Poisson/implicit
methods and it has been found to outperform projection based methods in
hydroacoustic splitting approach.

The P-multigrid improves the low frequency error damping. Please note that PyFR
v1.7.5 is available on Github which introduced P=0 smoothing which further
improves the convergence, especially for the continuity equation. Moreover, we
are actively developing the ACM solver and other acceleration techniques will
be introduced in the next releases.

What is the scale of your simulation? If you are running a very small 2D
problem you may not see great speed-ups with the accelerator.

It is hard for me the answer the the mass conservation tolerance question
because it is case dependent. If you are simulating a real life problem that is
Ma=0.0001, yes you should drive the continuity residual to a very low level. If
you are simulating for instance low speed aerodynamics with Ma=0.1 it may be
not as crucial.

Regards,
Niki

On 8 Jan 2018, at 13:48, Will <holm...@gmail.com<mailto:holm...@gmail.com>>