Hi,

sorry for double-mailing last time.

I can now give a more precise description of the
bad behavior of my entries in TOPLEVEL-windows
having some (normally one) of my own-written
spread sheets.

This spread sheet draws on demand of the
scroll bar. Thus drawing is independant of the length
of the table - i had a run with 24.000 lines (10 columns).
However, it has autosized columns, thus a method
prepares the pango-layouts and measures their widths.
Initialization of that 24.000 lines took around half a minute.
Fixed widths could provide the possibility of
lazily computed infinite tables - but i had no
need for that recently.

But this means a lot of drawing - therefore
python on its own is too slow - at least for a
normal bureau computer. Scrolling more than 1,000
lines was impossible without psyco. The spread
sheet inherits from psyco.compact. But it's not
psyco with its changed object model. Same
problems without psyco (and smaller tables).

Problems with my spread sheet are not restricted to
entry-widgets around. In IDLE modules with the
spread sheet cannot be killed properly. And
if the program's window is above an editor
window of IDLE bad artefacts on that editor
window can arise.

Thus my spread sheet seems to affect parts of
the whole grafic system. The problem does not
exist with eclipse and not while running
such modules standalone. And there is no increased
demand for memory.

The entry widgets seemingly cease to draw on
 keyboard input directly, as they normally do.
 It seems, that the delay of around a second is
 due to the blinking frequence of the cursor.
That this blinking generates expose events, which
 then cause the entries to render the text finally.
 This suspicion comes from what i see.

 Here my repeated question: Have such problems
 seen with gtk.Entry before ? Respectively
 with gtk.CellRenderer (which i suspect to be
 the real offender) ?

 Cheers, Joost