For what it's worth we do a similar sort of thing for these:
http://www.immunityinc.com/downloads/NodeView.png (You can click on
the nodes and they pop up a menu)
http://www.immunityinc.com/documentation/mappingbeta.html (flash movie
of a map with little icons)

Just as some ideas as to what's possible. I'm not sure how we do this
stuff under the covers, but it's all pure pyGTK.

- -dave