On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 13:23, Giuseppe Penone <gius...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that the bindings are developed from people like me,
> in the free time, but understand that like me there are many other people
> that spend a lot of time trying to
> port their code and finally they have to give up because many functions
> are not implemented in the porting.

The point is that once someone contributes a fix, the rest will have
it fixed. As you say, PyGTK is used by a lot of people, and if just a
small part of them had joined the effort when it was clear it was
needed, we would have reached maturity for GNOME 3 or even earlier.

Also, PyGObject+introspection won't be stable until a critical mass of
application authors port their apps and contribute fixes. Telling
people to wait because it's not ready yet would be the same as saying
them to switch to another language or toolkit.

> If it would be clear that it was full of non introspectable functions
> (up and working in gtk3 as well as pygtk2, absent in the bindings)
>
> I would rather spend the time to rewrite the code of my apps directly in
> gtk3.

Gtk+ certainly has a bigger community of contributors on which you can
piggy back, but sooner or later you will find that in order to get the
most of it you have to become a contributor.

Besides practical benefits, it's the right thing to share the work
with whom you share the wealth.

I think this should have been clear already to anybody who decides to
use community-developed software.

Regards,

Tomeu