Hi Clayton,
Before embarking on a widget like this you might consider some potential
usability pitfalls. Essentially the framing of an edit box and the lack of
framing on static text is a well known idiom for how these widgets behave
and what a user expects. So by sticking with what is common you
can guarantee not to confuse your user base. I do understand the search box
with a low contrast embedded label that disappears when text is typed has
become popular, but it is also usually only seen in the context of a search
or filter.

If these potential problems don't bother you, there is still another issue
which depends on the type of form the widget is contained within. For
instance, if you have a handful of these widgets along with other widgets
in a form. The scanning of a human eye trying to find a particular field of
interest might not be as efficient compared to the usage of the classic
column of
"Label: [edit box]" with vertical alignment.

-Simon