There is something wrong (perhaps in my understanding) with the Mac OS
bundle step. Below is my build script.

What this creates in dist, whether I specify -F or -D, is two things:
a directory ppqt containing all the needed files, and also an app
bundle PPQT containing:

    Contents
        Frameworks (empty)
        info.plist
        MacOS
            ppqt (the python executable apparently)
        Resources (empty)

Launching this app has no effect, not surprising as all the needed
support files are elsewhere.

What am I not getting, here? Build script:

# -*- mode: python -*-
a = Analysis([os.path.join(HOMEPATH,'support/_mountzlib.py'),
os.path.join(CONFIGDIR,'support/useUnicode.py'), 'ppqt.py'],
             pathex=['/Users/original/Documents/Dprojects/PPQT'])
pyz = PYZ(a.pure)
exe = EXE(pyz,
          a.scripts,
          exclude_binaries=1,
          name=os.path.join('build/pyi.darwin/ppqt', 'ppqt'),
          debug=False,
          strip=None,
          upx=True,
          console=True )