I learned that exporting QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS might get some info, and it did.
The app says it is checking directory path
".../dist/cobro.app/Contents/MacOS/qt5_plugins/platforms".

"qt5_plugins" ???  Where does THAT come from?

OK, just to make sure everything was clean I reran pyinstaller. Moved
libqcocoa.dylib into Contents/MacOS/qt5_plugins/platforms.

And the app started. taa-bleeping-daa!

So apparently this is what it takes to let Qt 5.4 find its platform plugin.
See preceding note for everything I tried that didn't work.