You may have a look at brog -backup: https://github.com/borgbackup/borg

Thanks for the reference! Looks like this is the money shot
<https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/blob/0ec998cb3b92853b7026068caa7acc7d467ebe5e/Vagrantfile#L236-L244>
.

As long as you can pass all required parameters on the command line, I'd
> suggest *not* using a .spec-file. This eases updating for the case the
> .spec-file would change or get new features.

Makes sense. I’ll report back if I find there is something I need that I
can’t do from the command line interface.

>    - Do they restructure their project in any way to better support
>    PyInstaller?
>
> If you are using virtual environments, this should not be necessary. Just
> setup the virtual env, install everything required into it, an run
> pyinstaller.

Ah, in my case I had to make a small change to add a script that can be
called directly, like python3 my-program.py. That’s because the normal way
to invoke my program is via a console_scripts entry point, and PyInstaller
doesn’t know how to interface with that yet
<https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/305> (as you know).

>    - Do they use CI services like Travis and AppVeyor to automatically
>    test their packaging process and generate release artifacts for the
> various
>    OSes?
>
> borg backup uses travis and Vagrant. (I personally find the later one very
> interesting and adopted it for building PyInstallers bootloader.)

Interesting. I’ll take a look at Travis first since it supports uploading
artifacts to S3 <https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/uploading-artifacts/>. So
I can have PyInstaller run as one of my “tests” and publish the result to
S3.

Nick
​