In a continuing attempt to get pyinstaller to create an executable that doesn't throw an exception, we tried a hack.  There is nothing special about a canonical Python module, it is just another script.  So, we copied Queue.py to our source tree, renamed it and then did something like:

if os.name = 'nt':
   import SLQueue as Queue
#posix env
else:
   import Queue

in the downloader and message modules.

This worked great, with no error on import from either bespoke module.  But on running the downloader, we got this:

 File "c:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-build-xzzmth\pyinstaller\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
 File "site-packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py", line 28, in <module>
 File "site-packages\urllib3\packages\six.py", line 203, in load_module
 File "site-packages\urllib3\packages\six.py", line 115, in _resolve
 File "site-packages\urllib3\packages\six.py", line 82, in _import_module
ImportError: No module named Queue

which is to say that the PyPi version of urllib3 also relies on Queue via the six package also fails.  The idea of having to bring in local versions of every module that depends on Queue is hard to stomach.

Again, on these systems, importing any of the these modules via the command interpreter works without error, as does executing the original script via python <cmd> <args>.

Best,

coyot