I’m having problems getting PySide2/QWebEngineView to work on windows with
PyInstaller. In short, even when just doing a very basic “Hello world” page via
setHTML, nothing is ever displayed. Of course the app works properly when not
run via PyInstaller.

Details:
- As per the instructions at
https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/wiki/How-to-Report-Bugs#make-sure-everything-is-packaged-correctly

<https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/wiki/How-to-Report-Bugs#make-sure-everything-is-packaged-correctly>,
 I am running pyinstaller in the —onesie mode, with the latest development
version, from a command window, without UPX, and in debug mode
- no errors of any sort are generated when running
- I have a custom hook set up to collect data files for shiboken2 and PySide2:

from PyInstaller.utils.hooks import collect_data_files

datas = collect_data_files('shiboken2', include_py_files=True, subdir='support')
datas += collect_data_files('PySide2', include_py_files=True, subdir='support’)

- I set the “QTWEBENGINEPROCESS_PATH” environment variable to point to the
QtWebEngineProcess.exe, thus eliminating that error
- I made sure my .spec file included the translations and resources directories
in the proper location, thus eliminating those errors

So at this point, I have cleaned up all the errors that are reported, but still
don’t get any display in the QWebEngineView, even for the most basic of pages.
Where can I look next? Output when running is below.

$ ./dist/SO2\ Explorer/SO2\ Explorer.exe
[160] PyInstaller Bootloader 3.x
[160] LOADER: executable is
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2 Explorer\SO2 Explorer.exe
[160] LOADER: homepath is C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2
Explorer
[160] LOADER: _MEIPASS2 is NULL
[160] LOADER: archivename is
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2 Explorer\SO2 Explorer.exe
[160] LOADER: No need to extract files to run; setting extractionpath to
homepath
[160] LOADER:
SetDllDirectory(C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2 Explorer)
[160] LOADER: Already in the child - running user's code.
[160] LOADER: Python library:
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2 Explorer\python37.dll
[160] LOADER: Loaded functions from Python library.
[160] LOADER: Manipulating environment (sys.path, sys.prefix)
[160] LOADER: sys.prefix is
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2 Explorer
[160] LOADER: Pre-init sys.path is
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2
Explorer\base_library.zip;C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2
Explorer
[160] LOADER: Setting runtime options
[160] LOADER: Initializing python
[160] LOADER: Overriding Python's sys.path
[160] LOADER: Post-init sys.path is
C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2
Explorer\base_library.zip;C:\Users\Israel\Development-Win\tropomi_gui\dist\SO2
Explorer
[160] LOADER: Setting sys.argv
[160] LOADER: setting sys._MEIPASS
[160] LOADER: importing modules from CArchive
[160] LOADER: extracted struct
[160] LOADER: callfunction returned...
[160] LOADER: extracted pyimod01_os_path
[160] LOADER: callfunction returned...
[160] LOADER: extracted pyimod02_archive
[160] LOADER: callfunction returned...
[160] LOADER: extracted pyimod03_importers
[160] LOADER: callfunction returned...
[160] LOADER: Installing PYZ archive with Python modules.
[160] LOADER: PYZ archive: PYZ-00.pyz
[160] LOADER: Running pyiboot01_bootstrap.py
[160] LOADER: Running runtimehook-harp.py
[160] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_qt5plugins.py
[160] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_pkgres.py
[160] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_win32comgenpy.py
[160] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_multiprocessing.py
[160] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_qt5webengine.py
[160] LOADER: Running SO2 Explorer.py

---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer