Ben, I think we're doing exactly that in our code.  Exactly when are you
setting PATH?  Do you use the runtime_hooks in your .spec file to point to
a boot file, so it happens as part of initialization of the product exe?

XXX.spec contains (among all the other stuff):
analyzed = Analysis(
    scripts                 = [path.join(XXX_ROOT, 'XXX/main.py')],
    runtime_hooks           = [path.join(XXX_ROOT, 'install/XXX_boot.py')],

Then in install/XXX_boot.py we have (obviously Windows-specific):

os.environ['OUR_PRODUCT_INSTALL_DIR'] = 'something'
os.environ['PATH'] = r'%OUR_PRODUCT_INSTALL_DIR_VAR%\bin;' +
os.environ['PATH']

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyinstaller/CAP2Qz%2BVEsy5r4v20rLSA%2BvxmD5V%2Bz2MwvWVSYFzCkTj%2B9r7CAQ%40mail.gmail.com.