On 12/19/05, Jay R. Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, let's take a short right turn, shall we, and muse on a related
> topic.
>
> How hard would it be to create a media=type plug in for something like
> Audacity or one of the other multi-track audio editors for Linux which
> could be used to *build* CDG tracks?
>
> Karaoke Builder Studio is nice... but it's almost $200.
>
> PowerKaraoke *looks* nice (though I haven't played with it)... but it's
> still $90.
>
> I suspect Kelvin has a feel for how complex the tracks are, having
> rendered them; any thoughts on this?

It's not incredibly *hard*, but it's not really simple either.

CD+Graphics (CD+G) is a bolt-on extension to the CD Audio format, that
rides in the usually unused 6 subchannels (out of 8) on the typical
CD.

This page describes it in excruciating detail:

http://jbum.com/cdg_revealed.html

Essentially, there are eight instructions in the command set:

1) Set the screen to color X (clear screen to color)
2) Set the border to color X (clear border to color)
3) Load color table entries 0-7
4) Load color table entries 8-16
5) Set the transparent color
6) Scroll (filling new area with color)
7) Scroll (wrapping data around)
8) Draw tile (normal)
9) Draw tile (XOR)

There's no facility to "write this string X at position Y," you get to
blit data, tiny chunks at a time, to the screen. Yay :)

Anyway, the format's pretty simple, so generating the final output
isn't too hard. It's coming up with what to show in the first place
that's the challenge :) It basically just means coming up with a
decent palette (fairly easy), picking a readable but fast-to-display
font, and timing things so the words are on the screen *before* they
need to be sung and getting them to highlight as they're sung.

'tis fun :)

Kelvin probably has more input, too :)