On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:58:03PM +0100, Drew wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 23:17 +0100, Kelvin Lawson wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for posting your code Drew, glad to hear you got it
> > working. If you don't want the hassle of packaging it up yourself in a
> > release it sounds like a good addition to the cdgtools suite. I tend to
> > use Python for home projects simply because I find it quicker to get
> > something functional, but I see no reason why C code shouldn't go into
> > cdgtools. Let me know if you're interested (cdgtools is LGPL by the way).
>
> Yes, absolutely. I would like to know if anyone else has successfully
> compiled and test it.

Well, having finally gotten SuSE 10.0 onto my laptop and the 100GB
drive (which freed up the 80GB to go in the external chassis), I'm
about to start ripping my 400 disc library -- which includes a lot of
brands, though only a couple Sound Choice and Music Maestro discs -- so
I guess I can A/B compare them, and see what I get.  Even a 10% speedup
is worth it on 400 discs.  :-)

> > My drive returns the data interleaved, so I've only ever tested rw_raw
> > mode (using the software-deinterleave) hence the note of caution in the
> > instructions for rw mode. My thinking was that the data returned in rw
> > mode would need nothing doing to it at all, it could be written straight
> > out to the CDG file as it came from the CD drive. Have you found this
> > not to be the case? Could it be that the drives concerned don't support
> > rw mode?
>
> This is exactly what I believed. I basically used what cdgrip does as my
> guide and wrote an equivalent in C. I tested it on a disk image from one
> of my drives. cdrdao reports that the drive I used can return RW info so
> I ripped a cdg disk in RW mode and then tried to split the image into
> audio and cdg files.
>
> Aside: With most of the drives I tried cdrdao reported that they could
> not extract in RW mode only RW_RAW and when I tried to extract in RW
> mode cdrdao failed without extracting anything, with a message about the
> drive not supporting RW. The one drive that did work claims to be able
> to extract RW and RW_RAW.

I may have to buy a drive; I'm almost certain the DVD-ROM in my Compaq
laptop (which is a Toshiba) will *not* reliably read subcode: CDRWIN
professes itself unable to read CD+G's with it.

Do we still like the Plextors best?  I can't burn CD+G's or DVD's
either at the moment, so a USB external seems the solution.

> When I had extracted the .bin image I ran it through dcdgrip to split it
> but the results were not as expected. The CDG info was garbage and the
> audio was very badly distorted (like samples were missing and maybe cdg
> data was still present)
>
> There are several possible reasons this could have happened.
>
> 1. The drive was returning incorrect data. However the fact that the
> audio was distorted suggests to me that it was not just returning RW_RAW
> data because that would have resulted in normal audio and garbage cdg.
>
> 2. cdrdao is doing something to the data.

Has anyone looked into cdparanoia?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]