> I've just compared the RW vs RW_RAW output from my drive, and it appears
> that the RW version has 72 byte CDG sections vs 96 bytes for RW_RAW. I
> initially thought that must be the 96 bytes of CDG data without the 24
> parity bytes, but it turns out that strangely the drive is returning
> only the first 3 24-byte CDG packets (including the parity bytes), and
> missing the fourth. So it's only giving me 3 out of every 4 CDG packets
> in RW mode. It also happens to swap the bytes in every 16 bit word.

Very odd.

> So it looks like this drive is giving me dud data in RW mode.

It seems that that might be very common.

>  Maybe it
> expects to send 72 bytes due to dropping the parity bytes, but just
> forgets to drop the parity bytes. Given your experience with your NEC
> drive purporting to send RW data but sending nothing of the sort, I'm
> thinking that this is an issue with my drive. I'll be interested to hear
> what you're getting out of your other drive. Hopefully it will either be
> the full 96 bytes, or 72 bytes but with the parity bytes removed.

So far it look like I'm getting 96 bytes.

I have only ripped the "injected disk" which I created with all the
lower nibbles of the subcode bytes filled with A (hex). So I have no way
of knowing if the drive really is returning RW (deinterleaved) data or
just defaulting to RW_RAW.

I have modified the subcode injection program so that it labels the
lower nibble of each byte (from 0 to F) I will write this on the liteon
and read it back in RW mode to see if the drive tries to deinterleave
the subcode. (the only reasons I don't use the whole subcode byte is
that I'm worried about overwriting p and q channels and confusing the
drive)

After that I'll try ripping a real CDG disk and run it through cdgrip to
see if the I get usable data.

Drew