On 7/3/06, Drew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday I was playing around writing programs in C which talk to the
freedb server and retrieve track listings. This is all with a view to
adding track lookups to my ripper (which is a fairly crucial feature).

While I was on the freedb.org website, looking for the how-to, I saw a
post from the tow guys who apparently run it saying that they were
leaving.

I just got my program working and was about to start transferring the
code into my ripper... then...

Today I see that the main page has a message which starts:
"freedb is not able to operate without Joerg and Ari. There are other -
hopefully free - projects that will take over"

At the moment it seems to still be working....   but I'm not sure how
long that will last.

Any ideas about alternatives?

I was under the impression that freedb2.org will be "taking over" the role for freedb.org in a bit. There's not much there for now though except a lookup engine. No idea how the API is going to look...

But yeah, that in-fighting and immaturity going on there is annoying :(

--
Looking for something to read? Visit http://willfe.com/ ... it's easy, safe, and fun for the whole family!