Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed responses.  This is starting to make a lot of
sense now.  My programming life goes back to the days of the Commodore
64, so I'm pretty familiar with the old stateful peek/poke schemes for
primitive graphics.

Supposing a large portion of these problems is due to read errors, has
anyone considered writing a tool which can do binary diffs between two
separately read CDG tracks to try and ferret out where the problems are?
(Perhaps ideally you'd need 3 separate reads of a track for a voting
redundancy scheme.)  This might be time consuming, but once you have a
more reliable version ripped, it's fixed for good.

One thought would be to try using GNU's ddrescue (not the same as
dd_rescue) which can merge multiple versions of a corrupt file into a
single, less corrupt file.  I've never used it, but it might be worth a
try.

For now I'll try to perform the rips on another, more reliable drive,
and see if I get better results and then go from there.

thanks again!
tim