On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM, j_king <j.kenneth.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know about a pylons project of mine:
>
> http://bitbucket.org/agentultra/pylons/overview
>
> I created a new JSONRPCController class that will allow pylons users
> to build JSON-RPC based services for their applications.
>
> I'd like to get some feedback from the community if that's possible
> before I initiate a pull-request. Does the code meet community
> conventions? Are there any glaring bugs I missed?

I just wrote some ad hoc web services with JSON output. Could you
explain a bit what advantage JSON-RPC would have? I looked at the diff
and have no comments on the API since I'm not sure I'm qualified to
judge. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the import to
pylons.controllers. That would depend on how central and permanent we
feel this controller would be.

Could you give a concrete example of a controller and routing that
uses this? That would help show its benefits, and would be needed for
the docs anyway.

Here's my ad hoc web service API in one application. Would JSON-RPC be
of benefit here?

# /chemical/{id}.json
# Return chemical properties as a JSON dict.

# /react/{id}.json
# Return reactive group properties as a JSON dict.

# /reactivity.json?id=CH1234&id=RG50&id=CH5678
# Return a JSON dict describing the reactivity if the specified
# chemicals and/or reactive groups mixed.

The latter service has been requested by users, although we're not
sure exactly what kind of client program would issue the queries. The
other two services are speculation, based on the idea that "if you
build it, they will come" (i.e., realize they want it).

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>