On Sep 12, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

>> What's the best way to figure out the entry point name to use and the
>> right syntax, for any arbitrary entry point?
>
> It's egg:<DistributionName>#entrypointname
>
> The entry point names for a given package are in
> EGG-INFO/entrypoints.txt .
>
> Paste defaults to using the name "main" as the entry point name, so
> these two Paste names are equivalent:

Also, not sure what type of license Ian has his Paste docs under, but I want to
pull in the necessary information about how to configure INI files, such that a
user doesn't have to go to the PasteDeploy docs to look-up how to set a filter
middleware, etc. Having this in one Configuration section of the Pylons docs
also means we can provide a list of all the available middleware (and entry
point names!) so that someone could look through, see what they want in their
stack, and easily add it to the appropriate INI file (cause the dev.ini will
prolly differ from the prod.ini).

Right now, its kind of a pain to:
A) See what middleware is available with stock Pylons
B) Figure out what the heck the entry point name is, without which, you can't
use it in the INI file, I usually have to read the source to find the damn
entry point names, we should save our users from doing that
C) Know what options each piece of middleware can take in the INI file

I think a good way to separate the distinction is that the INI file is where
settings and the application wrappers are configured, which can differ between
production, staging, testing, and deployment, while the make_app is where the
application itself is configured.

- Ben