On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 13:50 -0700, Mike Orr wrote:
>> >
>> > I've indicated to Ben that I am willing to genericize the BFG docs to
>> > some extent by not linking to internal stuff in API documentation
>> > needlessly.  But I doubt this will really do much good; there are places
>> > where those kinds of links are just required.  It will probably boil
>> > down to everything needing to be cutnpasted.
>>
>> Most of the other Pylons dependencies are pretty solidified so they
>> shouldn't change much, and when they do it's some obscure feature
>> rather than the basic Pylons API. For BFG, we'll have to see how the
>> documentation comes out, how much of it refers to things that are
>> changing. As long as you're aware of which parts of the API the Pylons
>> docs cover, it should be pretty easy to remember, "This part affects
>> the Pylons docs." Especially as we'll be covering only a
>> Pylons-typical application, and referring directly to the BFG docs for
>> anything beyond that.
>
> AFAIK, Ben doesn't want to do that.  He wants all the docs presented in
> terms of Pylons, not punting to the BFG docs for anything at all.

BFG is bigger than all the other Pylons dependencies combined. We
can't have 30% of the Pylons manual referring to BFG features that
aren't normally used in Pylons apps, especially if Pylons has a more
specific way to enable it.

It sounds like we need a preprocessor to import documentation sources
and sanitize foreign cross-references. Can that be done as a Sphinx
plugin?

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>