Am 11.11.2010 05:05 schrieb Mike Orr:
I think we need to think strategically about Pyramid's application
templates. There are already eight of them, with overlapping
functionality and inconsistent names. There will probably be more
templates coming, both bundled with Pyramid and separate. ChrisM has
said he doesn't like conditional templates (i.e., templates with
questions), but they've worked well in Pylons and they would allow a
streamlining of the current and future templates.

That's also what I was thinking when I tried out Pyramid. Having a template for every combination of options is really not maintainable and extendable. But in paster templates you can use a small templating language, so conditional templates are easy to implement: http://pythonpaste.org/tempita/modules/tempita.html.

TurboGears has used this, too, in order to add options such as authorization or switch SQLobject against SQLAlchemy or Genshi against Malo. (For historical reasons TG used Cheetah here, but nowadays Tempita is a better choice because it's already included in Paste.)

-- Christoph