In discussing with chrism and Ian Bicking porting Pyramid to Python 3,
it became clear that we might want to do some other changes at the
same time, enough to warrant a new major version, aka Pyramid 2. I've
outlined the ideas on the following wiki page:
    https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/wiki/Pyramid-2-Brainstorm

These are just some ideas for discussion; we're not committing to any
of them at this point. If you have other ideas let's get them on the
list. Part of the reason for doing this is to determine which projects
we might want to offer to Google Summer of Code students.
Here's a summary of the ideas on the wiki page:

- Port to Python 3.2 and 2.7. Drop compatibility with 2.5 and below.
- Replace Paste, PasteDeploy, and PasteScript with "something".
- "paster create" can be extracted to a new utility, either a
top-level script or a subcommand.
  The code could do with some modernization.
- "paster create" can likewise be extracted to a new utility.
- Rename "application templates" to "application skeletons" to avoid
confusion with file templates.
- Possible new names for Paster and its components: glue ("Glue is the
new Paste!"), Create, Serve, karnak.
- Extract PasteDeploy, loadapp, loadserver, BetterConfigParser; refine
code and give better names.
- Replace the INI file with an YAML file?
- Remove formal dependencies on Chameleon, Mako, and PasteDeploy in
Pyramid. Some of these are more properly dependencies of the specific
applications which are using them.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>