I would like to build a small app akin to a filemaker database, but
web-based, of course.  One nice feature of filemaker is the ability to
search based on pretty much any field (or combination).  I know how to do
the searches, but I would like to make a simple query language (things like
"2..3", ">3", "=3", "widge*", etc.).  I have read a bit about tokenizers.
Does using a token system make sense, or is there a better or simpler way?
Of course, I have to validate these things and then create SQL from them, so
any hints from that point of view are also appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean