On 2/5/07, Shannon -jj Behrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Christoph Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 February 2007 08:01, dds wrote:
> > > On Jan 29, 11:54 pm, Christoph Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Are you sure? In the background the orm.py is creating a lazy mapping that
> > is only requesting rows from the database when they are needed. As far as
> > I understand even that .select() doesn't pull anything unless you read
> > from it. And if you read just a slice the database would *then* start a
> > query with a certain LIMIT.
> >
> > > The point of giving
> > > it a real query object is that it should use limit and offset to
> > > select only the elements from the DB to make the current page, not
> > > carry it all around in memory.
> >
> > True, but isn't that also true for .select()? I'm really not sure because
> > I'm a newbie to SQLAlchemy. Of course a "nakes .select()" is bullshit
> > because it does not contain any selection criteria.
>
> Well, if you tell SQLAlchemy to echo queries to STDOUT, you can check
> that it's doing what you think it's doing.
>
> Best Regards,
> -jj

I ran into an issue when trying to use sqlsoup with the pagination
stuff where sqlsoup's select was fetching the entire result set, and
then the pagination object was returning a slice from that.  I ended
up having to pass in limit and offset to the select statement
manually.  Does plain old sqlalchemy behave differently?

Cheers,
Chris