On 3/7/07, Christoph Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, list...
>
> This thread is connected to the "Deploying Pylons applications as Debian
> packages just that I would like to suspend discussing whether the Debian
> package management system or easy_install is better for the moment. :) I'm
> trying to provide an easy way to deploy Pylons projects as Debian packages
> and thus have written a little Python program to add a debian/ directory
> to an existing Pylons project that allows the project to be built into a
> Debian package. That raises a few questions which - as I just learned on
> IRC - are not only Debian-specific but touch the deployment process
> altogether. So I decided to take it to the list again.
>
> First of all: the script is located at http://workaround.org/pylons. I'm
> looking forward to your comments.
>
> To build the actual Debian package I run these steps:
>
> python${PYVER} setup.py install \
>    --root debian/${PACKAGE} \
>    --single-version-externally-managed
>
> mv
> debian/${PACKAGE}/usr/lib/python${PYVER}/site-packages/${EGG}-${DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION}-py${PYVER}.egg-info
> \
> debian/${PACKAGE}/usr/lib/python${PYVER}/site-packages/${EGG}-${DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION}.egg-info
>
> And it looks like the application is well contained within the resulting
> Debian package. All that's missing is the "production.ini". I wondered
> where it comes from. David (Smith) told me that the template for ini files
> is located under "dnsdhcp.egg-info/paste_deploy_config.ini_tmpl" which is
> true. But that file is only created when building an egg - but not when
> running just "python2.4 setup.py install".
>
> Whose job is it to create the ini file? David said that usually Pylons
> applications are just eggs and that the web server administrator sets up
> the paster and the production.ini file referring to all the Pylons
> applications he/she desires to run. Currently (and also because I'm scared
> by Paste because I don't have a complete picture of what it is or does) I
> would want the Debian package to provide an example production.ini file
> for a Pylons application and provide init.d scripts that launch "paster
> serve" from that ini file.
>
> I just tried "paster make-config --no-install helloworld production.ini"
> but that got an exception "Some #directives are missing their corresponding
> #end ___ tag: cache". I think the template is broken somehow.
>
> David also scared me a bit on IRC when he said that the setuptools
> deployment is not perfect. Are there arguments against the above way to
> distribute Pylons projects? After all I'd like my project to run well on a
> server without playing around. Copying the files and launching the "paster
> serve" server from the shell is not really an option. I'm eager to hear
> your opinions about it. There has to be a common way to deploy Pylons
> applications. Somewhere...

> [...]

That's worth looking into.  Let us know if there are any ideas we can steal.

I'm reading the TurboGears book now and see some things I'd like to
port to Pylons (@expose but just for the dict rendering, not for
making methods public; and maybe a full-stack application template
with auth and database and templates preinitialized).  But there are
other things they seem to handle in an ad-hoc manner that paster
provides for us, like the application startup file.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>