I and others here have been bitten by renaming controllers.

I think it is a common python practice/pattern to inspect/use a 'base' name.

In short I think the controller module must contain a controller called
'FooController'

i.e.
foo.py contains
class FooController(BaseController):

This could be better emphasized/explained in the docs, imho.

See:
http://groups.google.ca/group/pylons-discuss/browse_thread/thread/17882a9f1b05b380/88ce975f0d68abb9?lnk=gst&q=&rnum=6&hl=en#88ce975f0d68abb9

I'm assuming this is what the Django devs meant when they put out a release
that took out all 'magic' from the codebase.