On 5/11/07, andyprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (I'm using Pylons for the first time, so pls bear with me...)
>
> I'm setting up a Pylons app with Mako + SQLAlchemy + MySQL + UTF-8
> support
> -- but I've had trouble finding one place with clear instructions on
> how to do this,
> so I've gathered pieces of info from here and there, but this, coupled
> with the fact
> that some instructions are outdated, and others not so clear, has left
> me quite confused... :(

It is outdated indeed.

If you have the latest stable version of Pylons, SA and MySQLdb (1.2.2) the
following should be enough:

sqlalchemy.dburi = mysql://...?charset=utf8

And you should get properly decoded unicode strings from SA.

Btw, make sure your mysql db really contains utf8-encoded data (use mysql
console in utf8 locale to poke around and "show full columns" to check
collation.

Max.