Hello all,

  I am working with a PDB file that contains a protein molecule
(chain id A) and three different ligands in its binding site (as
chains B, C and D). This file was made by combining three
superimposed complex structures to illustrate the relationsips
between the modes of binding of the different ligands.

I used PyMol and the following script to create an overview
figure:

----[ PyMol script ]-----------------------------------------

# Load the PDB file containing all the elements
load combination.pdb

# Separate structure into different objects
# chain A is the protein
create lectin,(A//)
# chains B,C and D contain three different ligands
create one,(B//)
create two,(C//)
create three,(D//)
# delete the original structure
delete combination

# Set view
hide lines,all
zoom one,3
# set orientation,...

# Color atoms according to functon
color white,lectin
# site 1
color green,(/lectin///85,86,106,132,138,220/)
# site 2
color bluegreen,(/lectin///104,45/)
# Generate van der Waals surface
show surface,lectin

# Ligands in different colors
set stick_radius,0.05
color magenta,one
show sticks,one
color yellow,two
show sticks,two
color red,three
show sticks,three

This works very well. Maybe a wizard could be created to automatically
split a structure into separate objects for the different chains?

--
Lieven Buts
Vrije Universiteit Brussel