I have compiled pymol on linux with icc (Intel's compiler), and it works
wonderfully.  You simply need to make sure that you set
CC=icc -I<path to Intel's includes>

I also had to make a directory in the pymol directory called
intel_includes to which I needed to copy float.h from Intel's
substitute_headers directory.  Then of course, you need to add
-I<pymol_path>/intell_includes to CC.

I have not attempted to compile the extras pymol needs without gcc.  So,
python and all the rest are compiled with gcc.  Even so, I've noticed a
substantial speed improvement.

As far as the cards go, I don't know which offers better performance.
I'm currently running on a Quadro 2, at pymol has good performance, but
I don't know about a GeForce 3.

Tony Hill
Iowa State University