Hi Warren, et al:

I just returned from a conference where I gave my first pymol-based presentation on an ibook G3 500MHz using the native version (the X-windows version, as previously noted, was impossibly slow). I have to say it was a resounding success. I used it to present both structures with electron density maps from a variety of viewpoints and then also to show several movies of 5 states sampled from the hammerhead ribozyme reaction coordinate. It worked really really well, but I could use advice on how to do a couple of things more intelligently:

1. I used pymol in conjunction with a powerpoint presentation. I found the quickest way to do this was to have pymol open simultaneously with powerpoint, and to use the escape key to toggle back and forth. I tried using a hyperlink to a one-line applescript I wrote to launch pymol with a script of what I planned to show, but this approach was much slower. Has anyone found a better way to do this, so I can get an essentially instantaneous hyperlink?

2. I noticed that the electron density carving seemed a bit buggy, and I only got it to work by putting the map in in 3 pieces. When I tried to cover the whole molecule at once the program seg faults. I used the same map, I just covered it in 3 pieces rather than 1 and it seemed to work fine. This happened with two structures having the same sequence, yet the approach that worked for the first didn't work for the second, so I spent about 2 hours hunting for the magic combination that prevented pymol from crashing. Is this a known bug, my idiocy, or what?

3. Using RNA, if I try to draw a bond between O2' of one residue and O2' (for example) of another, it does not work, but a bond between two O2s work fine. I also found this failed when I edited the pdb file to be either some letter to replace the prime or an *. I tried \ to no avail. Is this a bug or am I doing something stupid again?

Otherwise it was great, and after about 2 or 3 hours of work, I found the absence of an external GUI to be more of a help than a hinderance as it forced me to learn the command language with all of its functionality.

This is a superb program. Thank you so much for doing this. Is it possible to buy an academic license as a mechanism for sending some financial support from my very modest grant?

Bill Scott