> I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 on a dual 1GHz PowerMac G4 (the old one with
> 133 MHz bus).

I too am using this, though on a Dell running Linux.  The performance is
unbelievable; unfortunately the graphics card far outpaces the PC!  I have
dual pentium IIIs and 1GB of memory, and the machine will drop dead long
before the geforce does, particularly when dealing with cartoons or
surfaces of large structures (e.g. GroEL rings).  To really get the
maximum mileage out of the card, you'd probably need to buy one heck of a
machine; for smaller structures, I can't really tell the difference
between this and a plain GeForce2.  One thing I haven't really tested,
however, is the performance gain when dealing with trajectories.

The other thing about that card is that you can crank antialiasing all the
way up (at least on Linux- I would expect OS X to support it as well) and
still get very good performance.  I don't actually think it makes much of
a difference when viewing lines, but cartoons are incredibly better.  I
never turn antialiasing off now.

Nathaniel Echols                                                  Programmer
n...@bioinfo.mbb.yale.edu                                        Gerstein Lab
203-589-6765                                                 Yale University